Mali junta leader appoints himself defence minister after predecessor is killed

Mali’s military leader, Gen. Assimi Goïta, has assumed the role of defence minister after the previous office-holder was killed during a series of unexpected attacks.
The West African country remains in a severe security crisis more than a week after an alliance of jihadist groups and separatist rebels launched coordinated raids across Mali.
During the campaign, Defence Minister Sadio Camara was killed in what was described as a suicide truck bombing at his home near Bamako, the capital.
A decree broadcast on state television on Monday said GoĂŻta would replace Camara. He is expected to be supported by Gen. Oumar Diarra, the army chief of staff, who has been appointed minister delegate.
GoĂŻta taking charge of both the presidency and the defence ministry may be viewed as an effort to strengthen his control, particularly amid concerns about whether his leadership is being challenged.
On 25 April, residents in towns and cities across Mali reported gunfire and explosions after militants from the separatist Azawad Liberation Front (FLA) and the al-Qaeda-linked JNIM launched simultaneous attacks.
Since then, the insurgents have reportedly imposed a partial blockade on Bamako and other areas.
The scope of the offensive—including the withdrawal of Malian and allied Russian forces from the northern city of Kidal—has raised questions about the resilience of Goïta’s government, which has been in power since a coup in August 2020.
Over the weekend, Malian authorities said they detained a group of soldiers allegedly connected to the attacks.
The Bamako military court prosecutor said an investigation found both former and current military personnel were involved in planning and carrying out the raids.
Mali also said it has coordinated with neighbouring Niger and Burkina Faso, including air strikes against the jihadists and separatists.
Niger’s government stated that the joint operation began only hours after the attacks started.
All three states, currently led by military governments, are members of the Alliance of Sahel States.
They have expelled French forces—the former colonial power—and have instead relied more on Russian support to help resist the insurgency.
Despite these efforts, fighting has continued and substantial parts of all three countries remain beyond government control.







