In what others may call the World Cup of Journalism, controversial journalist, commonly known as Daddy Hope in the social media circles has just been awarded an International Anti-Corruption Excellence Award in Doha, Qatar.
He took it to his twitter account to share his achievement and thank his supporters.
Here is the thread:
1. I have just been awarded the International Anti-Corruption Excellence Award in Doha, Qatar.
I received the award from the Emir (King) of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani in the presence of the United Nations @UN Special Advocate for the Prevention of Corruption.
2. Also present is the President of Rwanda, @PaulKagame & @UN Under Secretary General, Dr Ghada Waly.
This is an important milestone not just for me, but for my country which is struggling to move ahead because of unprecedented looting of public funds and abuse of the judiciary!
3. I want to pay great tribute to my social media followers who have been a great source of information & support throughout my persecution by the Zimbabwean Government
I also want to thank my lawyers Beatrice Mtetwa, Doug Colart, Harrison Nkomo, Gift Mtisi and the @ZLHRLawyers.
4. I dedicate this award to all the victims of corruption in Zimbabwe who have died because there was no medication in hospitals, and the 2500 women who die annually because there is no maternity theaters, and those who die from cancer because there is no radiotherapy machines.
5. I also want to thank my family & my friend Unopa who was there for me daily when I was in jail for over 85 days.
I want to thank all the journalists who have covered my political persecution and the many corruption stories.
@Cde_Ostallos & CCC, thank you for defending my home.
6. Finally I want to thank all my friends who supported me at the Tutu Fellowship.
Nkosana Moyo, Maggie Mwamuka and my late cousin George Mukusha who came to my home & stood with me when I was being persecuted by the police in 2020.
My two sisters Juliet and Edwina, thank you.”