More mass shootings in Johannesburg and Cape Town on Saturday night have sparked intense speculation about the dramatic surge in violence across the country in recent days.
Five people have reportedly been killed in yet another shooting, this time in the south of Lenasia, Johannesburg.
Another four people have reportedly been killed in another string of random bullets in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
It has also emerged that a shooting took place in Bloemfontein where two people are apparently killed.
The incident comes a week after 16 people were gunned down at a tavern in Soweto.
The police identified four bodies. Two more people were injured and taken to hospital. The incident happened at about 7.30pm.
“These people, they were sitting around the fire and then they were attacked from that point,” said Mawela. “Two died there at the corner, another person died down by the street.
“The fourth body, we are told it is in another block. We don’t know how did it happen – whether that person was part of this group, or he was found by those assailants when they were moving away from the crime scene.”
In a media release on Sunday 17 July, the office of the provincial commissioner of police in Gauteng said people in the group were playing dice on a street corner in Thembelihle when they were attacked. The gunmen remain unknown.
In an apparently separate incident in Thembelihle, a 36-year-old man was robbed of his belongings, including a cellphone and bicycle, and shot dead.
“Five cases of murder and two of attempted murder have been opened for investigation,” said the commissioner’s office.
Police are searching for suspects behind the deaths.
This is the latest in a series of shootings in Gauteng this month. Last weekend, 16 people were shot dead at Mdlalose’s tavern in Nomzamo, Soweto.
Meanwhile, in the Western Cape, police have confirmed that five people died in two separate shooting incidents on Saturday night.
In Khayelitsha, three men – aged 34, 36 and 50 were shot by unknown suspects who fled the scene, while in Makhaza, another two men – both in their 30s, were shot and killed in Makhaza.
Suspects in both cases are still in the wind.
Over the past three weeks, at least 55 lives have been lost due to mass killings or shootings in various parts of the country.
The first major incident was recorded late last month at the Enyobeni tavern in East London where 21 teenagers were found dead. More recently, a Free State farmer discovered seven bodies of deceased farm workers outside his property – also shot several times.